CSWS Transportation Information
Students have several transportation options to commute to their CSWS placements. For those that do not have access to a vehicle, walking or biking to the site might be an option depending on the location’s proximity to campus. Students can include up to half an hour per day for travel time when recording hours for payroll. Please be honest and accurate when including time traveled as we do verify with the taxi company, and we reference the distance of the organization when approving time sheets to make sure students are reporting accurately.
The City of Poughkeepsie’s bus service has several routes that travel around the city. The "Shopper's Special" stops directly at the campus bus shelter Monday-Friday, and the "Main Street" stops on Raymond Avenue across from campus Monday-Saturday. Show your Vassar ID and ride free on the "Shopper's Special" and "Main Street". Many of the CSWS organization sites are located on or near the bus routes.
Lastly, CSWS students have access to the Community Taxi Program, which works exclusively with Allen’s Taxi Service. The taxi program should be a last resort for students. For information regarding the program, please read below.
- When you have figured out your work schedule with your supervisor, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know your taxi needs for the semester. Taxi pick-ups are on the half hour (for example, 1pm, 1:30, 2 etc.). In your email, please note if your schedule will be ongoing and you would like us to keep your hours the same each week (but will notify us of any changes), OR if it is not ongoing and you will be emailing your schedule each week.
- Taxi schedule requests must be submitted by 3pm Friday for the upcoming week of Sunday through Saturday. For example, you would contact us by 3pm on Friday, Sept. 6, with your schedule for Sunday Sept. 8 – Saturday Sept. 14.
- Students should contact the taxi company 15 minutes prior to pick-up to ensure a timely pick-up. Please don’t lose sight of the fact that the taxi company is a business independent of Vassar student needs
- If you need to make a change: Please send an e-mail to email@example.com before 3:00 pm on Friday. To cancel or make changes after Friday, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as you know about the change. If you must cancel last minute, please contact us in writing at least 24 hours in advance. All taxi requests must be in writing.
- In the event that you must cancel your taxi last minute due to unforeseen circumstances, please call the taxi company directly as well as email email@example.com to inform us of the change.
- Taxi pick-up is in front of the Main Building. You must let us know in advance if you do not plan to show up for your ride, even if you know other passengers take your cab at the same time. Please note that if you are scheduled for a cab pickup, and you don’t show up, Vassar will still be charged for the no-show at full rate. Your absence jeopardizes the future of the program.
- We will be following up regularly with Allen’s Taxi, and students who no-show or cancel last minute multiple times will need to meet with the assistant director of Financial Aid.
- If you are running late, please call Allen’s Taxi Service and let them know as early as possible! This way the cab will wait for you if they are able. Please limit the wait time to a maximum of 10 minutes.
If you need to speak directly with Rosie, you can call her cell: (845) 464-3600
Allen’s Taxi Service: (845) 485-2411, (845) 473-6400 fax 845-486-4717